Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cabbage Kohlrabi Slaw with Honey Soy Dressing (and Fish Tacos)



Happy mid-week! We are enjoying a gorgeous week of great summer-like weather here in Boston. And it's not nearly as hot as it has been, which is really nice. :) Hope the weather where you are is great too!

As I've mentioned on the blog before, Mike and I have a CSA share that we split with some friends. It's our second year doing it, although this year we have the CSA with a different farm than last year. So far so good with the new farm! We went with Buckle Farm this year, and we've been very pleased for the past 5 or 6 weeks that we've been receiving their deeelicious organic veggies (and some fruits too!). If you also have a CSA, you may know that even if you are a huge vegetable lover, sometimes it's hard to eat all the veggies you get in a share. But Mike and I do our best to eat everything and we don't let anything go to waste. ;) I try to come up with yummy, different recipes whenever possible, but to be honest, a lot of times we do end up cooking certain veggies the "same old way" (and that's usually sauteeing or roasting!). This week, however, I got creative with a few items, and we loved the end result of this cabbage kohlrabi slaw. This recipe is a keeper, for sure! I hope we get more cabbage and kohlrabi this week. :)

I somewhat made this recipe up as I went along, so we'll call this a Barbershop original. The approximate ingredients are below. This recipe is definitely not something that needs to be too precise, so no need to worry!

Ingredients:

-1/2 head of purple cabbage, shredded in food processor
-2 kohlrabi bulbs, shredded
-1 scallion (bulb and stem), thinly sliced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1/8 cup honey
-1/8 cup olive oil
-approx. 3 tsp. soy sauce
-ground pepper, to taste

Instructions:

Using a food processor, shred the cabbage and kohlrabi to the size/thickness of your liking. Add these two ingredients to a large bowl, along with the sliced scallion. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the minced garlic, honey, olive oil, soy sauce, and pepper. Pour over the vegetables, and toss to coat. 

I recommend letting this dish sit in the fridge for at least 30 to 60 minutes before eating to let the flavors meld together. It tastes even better the next day too!

Serve cold or at room temperature, and enjoy!! This makes about 6 to 8 generous servings, I'd estimate.




(I didn't use the shredder attachment with the kohlrabi, but next time I would.)



The flavors of the honey and soy sauce worked really well together with this dish. And the scallion and garlic added a great punch of flavor too!!



The night that I made this, I was planning on heating up some turkey kielbasa to serve along side the slaw for Mike and me and make a super easy weeknight meal. However, I also discovered that we had one frozen tilapia filet in the freezer, and upon seeing that, a little lightbulb went off in my head. I wonder if this cabbage slaw would work in fish tacos?! I had some whole wheat wraps in the fridge already, so I decided to cook the tilapia and give it a whirl. The tilapia and cabbage slaw worked so well together! It was an awesome dinner. I enjoyed one taco (we really only had enough tilapia to split for two tacos overall), and then I enjoyed another serving of just the slaw on its own.


Yum yum yum!!! When Mike took his first bite of the fish taco, he said "Wow, this is reeeeally good." Mike often compliments my cooking and baking, but when he does so immediately (and without any prompting of "how is it?" :)), you know it's good!


I am crossing my fingers that we get more cabbage and kohlrabi in our CSA share this week... Can't wait to make this dish again!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment