Monday, July 9, 2012

Oatmeal Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies


I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I love cookies. They're one of my all-time favorite baked goodies to make. There are SO many options when it comes to cookies, and I mean really, who doesn't love a cookie?! Cookies always seem to put a smile on people's faces, and I love that. :)

This recipe is adapted from a recipe for Brown Butter Oatmeal Chunk Cookies from the blog How Sweet It Is. I didn't have chocolate chunks on hand though, so I decided to change the recipe up a bit and add toffee bits and mini chocolate chips instead. I also doubled the recipe, as the original recipe says it makes 15 to 18 cookies. With the proportions listed below (which is the doubled recipe), I made about 40 cookies.

Ingredients:

-1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
-1 cup granulated sugar
-1 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
-2 eggs
-4 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 and 1/2 cups regular oats
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. baking powder
-3 tsp. cinnamon
-3/4 milk chocolate toffee bits (I used Heath)
-1 and 1/4 cups semi-sweet mini chocolate chips

Instructions:

Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat, and add the butter. Whisking constantly, cook butter about 5 - 6 minutes, until small brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately when this happens, and whisk for about 30 seconds more. Set aside and let cool completely. This cooling completely part is very important!

While the butter is cooling, combine the flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer (or you can actually do this by hand!), mix the completely cooled butter with both sugars until smooth. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing again until smooth. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until well-incorporated. Finally, stir in the toffee bits and chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough by the tablespoonful onto sheets, placing about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden brown in color. Let sit for a couple minutes on the cookie sheets, and then place on cooling racks to cool completely.



Mmmm, toffee bits and chocolate chips!




As I was making these cookies, I realized that they are very similar to the last recipe I posted on the blog - the chocolate and cinnamon chip oatmeal pecan bars. The ingredients are very much alike (well, aside from the cinnamon chip and pecans, that is, and the fact that the other recipe is for bars ;)). Apparently I'm on a brown butter kick!


The texture of these cookies was great - nice n' chewy.

However, I will say, that if you make these, they're best eaten within the first three days of making them, as they start to dry out a bit after that. But the cookies were all gone by the fourth day so we didn't really have to worry about that problem for very long.



I made these cookies to bring on a camping weekend for a friend's 30th birthday. They were a hit with the crowd!


And since we were camping, we actually tried "stuffing" a couple cookies with a toasted marshmallow too. Delish!

The pic below is of the toasted marshmallow cookie sandwich. It's not at all a great picture though since I took it with my phone in the dark by a campfire. However, the flavor was great!


And yes, that's a burnt marshmallow. Mike prefers to toast his marshmallows to the point of burntness... 


If you're looking for an easy, crowd-pleasing cookie, this is it!


Hope everyone had a great weekend and that your week starts off well today! Be back again later this week... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment